03/29/2012

22 Comments

This Week we take a look at the state of the novel in Jeffrey Eugenides' "The Marriage Plot", Cindy Sherman's retrospective at MoMa, and Mel Torme, "The Velvet Fog".

Comments

Dick
03/29/2012 11:45am

We have to figure a way to capitalize on your incredible, insightful and just plain smart skills. Your critical analysis and interpretations are spot on and your savvy tech skills make it all work.
PS I loved "The Marriage Plot" and hope the novel endures!

Mark
03/29/2012 11:56am

You are the best Dickie! Thanks for watching and listening. I really believe the novel will endure - but how it will progress as a form is a mystery. We are all so over stimulated by other means.

Kari
03/29/2012 3:54pm

Brilliant and spot on.

Mark
03/29/2012 4:11pm

Woo hoo! Thanks for the props Kari. xx.

Craig Coffee
03/29/2012 6:11pm

I was very taken by Eugenide's first two novels and will read this one as well. Novels are the world to me and I pray they will soldier on.
That said I do read less and one of the reasons is the allure of the IPAD and some superb television offerings such as Mad Men and Downton Abbey.

Mark
03/29/2012 6:23pm

Oh it will surely live on...JE is certainly no slouch either. It struggles when things become self reflexive. Reading Edmund White's latest...quite good.

Robin
03/29/2012 7:34pm

I second Dickie!

Mark
03/29/2012 7:56pm

*smooch

L,m

Gina Landi
03/30/2012 2:02pm

Love all your commentary, and great choice of subjects. Was catching up on all of your posts today and really enjoying them. Keep them coming!

Mark
03/30/2012 2:40pm

Thank you G Star! They are fun to do....I never know what will pop up next.

Diane
03/31/2012 7:30pm

Smart, intriguing, and informed...I look forward to each new post. Thanks for keeping me up-to-speed. And... long live the novel---in whatever form it takes!

Mark
03/31/2012 8:05pm

Thanks Diane...I love that you're watching! I think the novel will live on, as long a they let it be. To be honest TMP is quite a good book.

Ellen
04/03/2012 6:26pm

Mark, you are such a good writer! and such a good reviewer! And such a good communicator. And holy moly, what illustrations. You're the whole package. I so enjoy your blog. It's a cut above all of them. You piqued my interest in Euginedes. I saw the movie The Virgin Suicides and was fascinated. Now I discover it was Euginedes who wrote the book. How well-versed you are. Fitting that you should live in THE CITY of culture and the arts. You're a real New Yawka!

Mark
04/03/2012 9:20pm

Eugenides is fascinating - I was a little critical in the effort to explore his work. I too loved TVS movie - I like Sofia Coppola a lot. If you did not see Marie Antoinette go for it! It is great. Thanks Ellen!

Ellen
04/03/2012 6:34pm

On Cindy Sherman - "I guess they are ultimately pictures of us... one woman at a time."
Honey, you know how to say it!
Never heard of Cindy Sherman. Now I won't forget her.

Ellen
04/03/2012 6:35pm

Honey, you know how to say it!
Never heard of Cindy Sherman. Now I won't forget her.

Ellen
04/03/2012 6:42pm

Nice nod to the Blue Fog, Mel. Wonderful way to end. Mel and Ella.. two giants.

Mark
04/03/2012 9:18pm

nancy flachsbart
04/05/2012 2:09pm

Mark - what a great thing you have going here. Loved the book review, my thoughts exactly - as far as I'm concerned you were dead-on & I do love the author.....but I can't even entertain the thought that someday I won't be able to give away for "keeps", break the spine (woops), dog-ear the pages (lifelong bad habit) and - yes, occasionally - throw a novel across the room in disgust!

Mark
04/05/2012 4:09pm

Wow thank you Nancy - I am so glad you tuned in! The shape of the novel (the book) will always be with us. But the form of the novel - what will happen to that? Where will it go? I for one will never stop indulging!

04/06/2012 12:07am

Oh my, Mark! You continue to dazzle--NYT and/or NPR is sure to pick up up any day, or they should anyway. And I agree with a previous poster: long live the novel in what ever form. It will always be my go-to entertainment/enrichment/inspiration source.

Mark
04/06/2012 12:24am

Pam! I am thrilled you are taking the time to watch! And I seem to be reading books more than ever...even in these strange days.